2.07.2009

Go Jonah Lehrer!

He was just on the Colbert show! I think he did great. In fact, I have no idea how guests can handle being interviewed like that. Not easy to get a word in edge-wise, but he did eventually.

Jonah discusses his new book, How We Decide, which is high on my reading queue, but haven't gotten to it yet. He mentions the idea of metacognition, which is such an important idea in neuroscience and every day life. Knowing your bad habits, knowing the context, knowing how you relate to the other characters in the scenario, the other variables. He calls it, "thinking about thinking." One has to consider their rational thoughts AND their emotional instincts. Colbert throws in "like Spock!" My thoughts exactly.

I wonder when we're all gonna get on board with this idea, it's vital to everything from global ideas like politics and religion to local issues like choosing your mate or what to have for dinner. Great to see Jonah getting more recognition for his insightful work.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Wow, I spend a lot of time thinking about metacognition... I'm doing it right now! ;) Sorry it's late-- I like your posts. The 7 year old tripping is priceless, though a tad heartbreaking at the end, don't you think? But bravo, in 2 posts, nearly the gamut of human consciousness.

Circe